Skip to main content

Out of State Claimants

For people living outside Illinois, the process of filing a claim in Illinois is the same as it is for in-state residents. You may file a claim in one of two ways: 

  1. File using the online application​ (recommended), or
  2. Call ID​ES Claimant Services at (800) 244-5631 (Individuals with a hearing impairment who would like to speak with someone in the Claimant Services Center should dial 711 for the Illinois Relay System. Once connected, please direct the communications analyst to call IDES at (800) 244-5631.)

Illinois law requires anyone receiving unemployment insurance benefits to register with the employment or job service system in the state in which they reside. Claimants who live in Illinois must register with

Claimants who live in any other state must register with that state’s employment or job service system.     

For more information, review the following documents:          

​CLI124L: Information for Interstate Claimants​​ 

CLI105L: UI Benefits Handbook​​