Skip to main content

IDES offices will be closed Thursday, November 23 and Friday, November 24 for the federal holiday, but you can still certify and apply for benefits and access other online resources! Please note that benefit payments may take longer to process during this time. Offices will reopen for regular business hours on Monday, November 27.

Household Employer Responsibilities

What are my responsibilities as a household employer?

  • Generally you must withhold federal income tax if you pay your household employee cash wages over $1,000 annually; see the IRS website​ for more information; or
  • You and your employee enter into a voluntary agreement that you, as the employer, will withhold and pay income tax on behalf of the employee. (link to tax form and instructions​)
  • You must make unemployment insurance contributions if you paid cash wages of $1,000 or more in any calendar quarter during this year or last year.
  • Be sure that your household (domestic) employee can legally work in the United States. When you hire a household employee to work for you on a regular basis, you and the employee must each complete part of the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Form I-9​, Employment Eligibility Verification. Be sure to keep this form for your records.
  • Download the USCIS Handbook for Employers​​