Monthly Wage Reporting
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/ides/documents/icon_review_large.png
Employers with 25 or more employees required to file quarterly and monthly wage reports
Pursuant to Public Act 97-0689, employers with a cumulative total of 25 or more employees in the prior calendar year are required to submit monthly wage reports electronically. Employers will continue to submit quarterly contribution and wage reports, and submit eight additional monthly wage reports.
If your company has reported a total of 25 or more employees for the calendar year, you will be required to file monthly and quarterly electronic wage reports for the period.
Please see the guide below:
Monthly Electronic Reports
- Required for the first and second months of each quarter: July, August, October, November, January, February, April and May
- Should contain only employee names, social security numbers and each employee’s total wages for the period being reported
- Unemployment insurance contributions are not calculated or remitted
- Failure to submit in an electronic format through MyTax Illinois will result in a penalty.
Quarterly Electronic Reports
- Required for the full quarter, which also covers the filing requirement for the months of September, December, March and June
- Unemployment insurance contributions are calculated and remitted
- Failure to submit in required electronic formats – MyTax Illinois, FSET (through QuickBooks or other vendor software) or FTP (used by large service bureaus or employers) – will result in a penalty
For a brief explanation on MyTax Illinois, please watch the MyTax Informational Video.
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/illinois/images/icons/transparent_submit.png
Using MyTax Illinois monthly wage filing must be done via MyTax Illinois, the Department's online tax filing and wage reporting application.
Employers that are already registered on MyTax Illinois can file using their existing MyTax Illinois account.
MyTax Illinois will only accept a comma separated (.csv) plain ASCII text format file for the monthly wage report. A file can contain a single employer or multiple employers.
Please note: There will NOT be a manual entry option for the monthly wage reports.
Image source: /content/dam/soi/en/web/illinois/images/icons/icon_file.png
File Format Guide, more information, and the electronic file format specifications can be found in the File Format Guide For Monthly Wage Reporting (pdf).
Call the IDES Employer Hotline, toll free at (800) 247-4984 for MyTax Illinois related questions.